Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Character Monday: Defining What Counts

The usual course of Character Monday at Stone House Inklings usually is an interview with said character or with the author discussing a particular character.

Not Today...

The fun thing about character is it's one of those words that has multiple meanings and additionally keeps the same spelling. There is a fancy word for it...but unfortunately our resident editor Mr. White is not in the office as early as I. I'm sure he will look at this post and mention it in the comments. And grammar is not my forte'.

Today we are going to talk about Character's other meaning. Now Wikipedia has about ten different meanings and uses for the word character. Specifically I'm going to discuss this definitions of Wiki's on character.



The concept of character can imply a variety of attributes including the existence or lack of virtues such as integrity, courage, fortitude, honesty, and loyalty, or of good behaviors or habits. Moral character primarily refers to the assemblage of qualities that distinguish one individual from another...

(This is probably why I'm a sucker for historicals. The code of chivalry of honor. Sigh.)


Now when you take that explanation and couple it with our usual one.

A character is the representation of a person in a narrative or dramatic work of art

I have defined what I as a reader and author value most in my characters in the novels I read and write. A person that struggles against conflict internal and external to exercise the full extent of his characters. They don't have to good guys. The bad are just the same.

When creating a work of fiction Characters will pull readers into the story and create fans. Characters will save a poor or easy plot. Essentially great characters=a great read.

That's my 2 cent's on Characters. What say you?


 

PS. Have you entered our publishing contest? Go here and check out the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment